About the Blog Author
My name is Jessica, and I like books, cats, traveling, hiking, needle felting, and growing orchids. I was born in Midwest of the United States. I have a B.A. and M.A. in English Literature. My cat’s name is Bruce, and he is the best boy (sometimes).
A Few Favorites
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- The Broken Earth Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin
- The Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro
- A Thousand Years of Good Prayers by Yiyun Li
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston
- The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
- The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu
- 11/22/63, It by Stephen King & N0S4A2 by Joe Hill
- The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
About the Blog
I began this blog in 2015 when a class I was assisting with encouraged the students to create a blog to record their writing progress over the semester. What began as an example for the class’s students, became this book review blog.
Why The Literary Giraffe? Well, because it is silly, and I like silly things. I also like giraffes, and thinking about one reading a book is funny to imagine. Why review books? Because I like to read and share my opinions. Being a Youtube book reviewer is too much for my anxiety, so here I am!
Reading and Blog Goals
This blog is a reflection of what I read, but even though fantasy and historical fiction are two of my favorite genres, I try to mix it up a little. As another example, I may love Neil Gaiman, but I try not to review every book I read from him. So, while there may be a majority of fantasy reviews, I try not to review several of one genre back to back. I also tend not to review classics or older novels. This past year in particular I have tried to review more new releases, authors of color, non-fiction books, and independently published work. I don’t want anyone to get tired of my content, and it pushes me to read more diversely– by author and by genre.
Do you have a book you would like me to review?
Contact me: literarygiraffe at gmail dot com